Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mascara to the Max!

This is a compensated review from BlogHer and Max Factor.

Recently I was given the opportunity from BlogHer to try out the new Max Factor2000 Calorie Extreme Lash Plumper mascara and Vivid Impact Lip Color lipstick. Since mascara and lip products are my absolute weakness, I said yes, of course!

First, let's chat mascara. I already have long dark lashes, which is great, but mascara always adds an extra oomph when I'm going out, especially since I wear glasses. The 2000 Calorie Extreme Lash Plumper mascara definitely made my lashes look longer, thicker, and darker, plus added some lift and curl.

But you don't have to take my word for it: I took pictures!

One of my eyes has Lash Plumper mascara on, the other doesn't. Can you guess which is which? (Seriously, this is so easy.)



This is just straight-up mascara on one eye alone, folks -- I didn't bust out the eyelash curler or anything (not even, um, concealer). The other eye is completely bare -- no mascara, no curling, nothing. Just naked eyelashes.

Want to see it again?



Check the bottom lashes -- that's the real story. Boom! Look at those plumped-up lashes on the left!

Do I like the formula? Yes, I do -- it's very long-lasting, even through working out or a long day at the office. Do I like the way it shows on my lashes? Definitely (just take another look at those pictures!). Do I like that the bottom of the bottle is flat so I can stand it up on my bathroom counter? I do (very handy!)!

My only major issue is that the brush is so huge! It's about the size of the tip of my pinky finger (which, granted, is small). I know that the brush is what gives it a lot of the great eye-popping oomph, but I am chronically clumsy and have been known to stick a mascara brush in my eye on more than one occasion. So I have to be very careful to not have a sudden hand twitch and get a giant rubber brush right in the eye. It's just something I have to watch for in particular, and it wouldn't stop me from buying it.

Now, let's talk lipstick! While the color I got to try out, "Pin-Up Pink", is great for the hot spring trend of bubblegum lips (think Drew Barrymore at the Grey Gardens premiere), it's unfortunately not the trend for me. That said, the lipstick itself is great quality stuff. It's super-moisturizing, lasts really well even when drinking from a cup, and you know what else caught my attention? It's unscented. I think this is really interesting and a nice classy touch -- sometimes I don't want to have my lips taste or smell like cupcakes or chocolate-mint or strawberry. It just makes it feel more grown-up and sophisticated to not get a huge whiff of fragrance when I open up a lipstick.

I also think it would work really well if applied lightly like a lipstain -- the dark "Hipster" would be awesome for fall, and you can always take a red lip like "Miss Right" or "Miss Right Now" and apply it very lightly with a lip brush or your fingers to soften the color up for daytime.

I am definitely curious to check out "Miss Right Now", which looks like a great blue-red (seriously, I am so weak for a blue-red, it's not even funny). I really do like the formula a lot, so I would easily go out and pick up another color of Vivid Impact.

Thank you to BlogHer and Max Factor for the chance to try out these products and indulge my weakness for mascara and lipstick -- seriously, does a girl need anything more?

Turns out: she does! And so with BlogHer and Max Factor, I'm giving away a gift pack!


Want to win it? Just leave a comment with your top beauty essential (as I said, mine are mascara and lipstick!) to this post!

Just a few rules:

• The contest is open from 10 am Pacific 5/15/09 until 4 pm Pacific 6/16/09.
• No duplicate comments.
• You may receive an additional entry by linking on Twitter and leaving a link to your Tweet in the comments.
• You may receive an additional entry by blogging about this contest and leaving a link to your blog post in the comments.
• This giveaway is open to US residents aged 18 and over.
• Winners will be selected via random draw, and will notified by e-mail (so make sure your email address is correct/attached to your profile!).
• The winner must respond to the email within 48 hours; otherwise, a new winner will be selected.
• Please see the official rules here: Official Rules

There are also sixteen more chances to win! Six other bloggers are giving away prize packs, and BlogHer.com is giving away ten! Click, read, enter, win!

Good luck!!

30 comments:

Regan said...

1. lip gloss
2. Benefit's new "Hello Flawless" They just started making this but it is now at the top of my must have list.

NGS said...

My must have makeup item is Benefit's eye primer (F.Y.Eye!). It allows me to buy inexpensive eyeshadow that doesn't flake off. The investment in the primer is key!! One expensive thing leads to a lot of inexpensive options for color!!

Lydia said...

I must have some type of lip gloss and mascara!

delightfulconfection[at]gmail[dot]com

mrsshukra said...

Tricia Sawyer primer and foundation are my must haves!

Lorac said...

Hands down, it is mascara that is a must for me! I would really like to try these products too!

Minky Moo said...

Mascara
Lip gloss.
I might cease to exist without mascara and lip gloss.

samantha said...

Foundation and mascara--can't survive without them!

samanthajocampen at gmail dot com

demicmic said...

I would love to say mascara, but I can't find one I want to wear everyday. Foundation and blush are my must dos before I leave the house.

theindy4 at sbcglobal dot net

Unknown said...

foundation is a must for me followed by lipgloss.

Unknown said...

tweet - http://twitter.com/misaacmom/status/1829049557http://twitter.com/misaacmom/status/1829049557

Amie said...

I gotta have mascara--I have blonde eyelashes and without it, I look like a kid. After my hubby and I got married and while on our honeymoon, I stepped out of the shower and showed him for the first time my fresh face. He stopped in his tracks and said, "Oh my gosh, I married a 12 year old." True story. I wear mascara every day, whether it be to the pool, the gym, the store, whatever. Gotta have it.

bonggamom said...

My beauty essential is tinted lip balm.

bonggamom (at) yahoo (dot) com

bonggamom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bonggamom said...

I tweeted:

http://twitter.com/bonggafinds/status/1838235613

bonggamom (at) yahoo (dot) com

SavingDiva said...

I couldn't live without mascara and sunscreen!!

Unknown said...

My Biore Skin Preservation Fusion, moisturizer and sunscreen in one.

NerdMom said...

I love my Aveeno moisturizer with 15 spf. I also have to have lip gloss!

Deanna said...

My top beauty essentials are mascara and eyeliner! :)

DO said...

my favorite item...burt's bees lip balm.

Lauri said...

Lipstick & moisturizer- would be a toss up if I had to pick only one

Twincere said...

My absolute must have at-all-times is MAXalicious Lip Glaze Lip Gloss in the colors Table For Two and Just a Crush. I have several of each of these colors stashed everyway in my purse, laptop case,diaperbag,glovebox,locker, etc. I feel so naked without lipgloss, it instantly makes me feel better and more "complete" when I have it on, lol!

Twincere said...

I tweeted about this Review & giveaway here:
http://twitter.com/Twincere/status/1930935215

Twincere(at)hotmail(dot)com

Michelle said...

My must have is my lipgloss and a mirror. Am I the only one incapable of applying lipcolor without a mirror?

Nici_Evans said...

My top beauty essential is primer. I have oil slick, yucky skin and with or without foundation I use a primer everyday to combat the oilies.

mrslevans at hotmail dot com

Nancy said...

Definetly mascara! I'm blonde!

bison61 said...

I love bareminerals and mineral veil, they help to hide the red in my cheeks

tiramisu392 (at) yahoo.com

Feminist Review said...

Soap and water! To wash my face at the end of the day. That's totally essential. :)

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

My top beauty essential is Max Factor's 2000 Calorie: Original Recipe. I will definitely be buying the new version tomorrow since "mascara" is already on the shopping list.

Unknown said...

i have to wear mascara every day. i have light, barely there lashes. i have wondered about this mascara. thanks for the picture. it definitely made a difference in my perception of the mascara.

melanie(dot)myatt(at)gmail(dot)com

The Thornton Family said...

Mine are also mascara and lipstick/gloss. They're my american Express - don't leave home without 'em!

Stacey
stacey.thornton@gmail.com